Monday, January 21, 2008

Of Cricket and Movies

I was waiting for the Perth test result to write this. "YES!"

Indian Cricket Team hasn't let me or so many others down this time. This has made me believe stronger in them which has the side effect of becoming more vulnerable to a defeat. I guess I like it this way. It enables me to say at least this time ... "Didn't I say so?"

It was actually a commendable and understandable behavior by the Australians on the field this time round. And off the field too. I guess they gained some humility.

I would have written more about it but the cricket mood has died down due to my laziness and business in starting this. Well I have been very busy for last one month or so. Doing what? Working and watching movies.

I have watched around a hundred movies in the last month or so. It is quite a task even for me. It would not be wrong to say that I have lived a sizable fraction of my recent life in someone else's world. It is quite an experience. I have learned to appreciate movies more. I have become more patient. I have started to look deeper into things (don't know whether i really needed that, I am a victim of overthought already.)

I have come to decide that no movie is totally bad. One has to look for the subtle "things" in every scene. The people responsible for making the movie would have made quite an effort to put that little thing there in the background to "say" something to us. Of course there would be movies and moviemakers which don't inspire, don't enlighten and really test you. They also teach us something.. about the moviemaker :)

I am posting names of some of the movies, I saw in the past month, which moved, taught, inspired and changed me the most..
  • Idi i smotri (Come and see)
  • La vita è bella (Life is beautiful)
  • 10 items or less
  • The truman show
  • The ultimate gift
  • Cashback
  • 12 angry men
  • Léon
  • Manorama 6 feet under
  • Malena
  • No country for old men
  • One point 0
Not necessarily in that order...

One should watch them... not for me... for themselves.

2 comments:

Psmith said...

bhai vah !
thanks for the list. It'll be of much use to me once my exams are over. in the meanwhile, may I suggest another movie - The Man from Earth. Koka suggested it to me and I have recommended it to many people since, and everyone has liked it. I have not got round to watching it myself.

And just for the record, I think Dravid and Ganguly ought to be included in the one day team.

Lets see.....if we win in Adelaide, we will have to admit that Indian cricket has come of age, just before it retires. To be honest, when the last of this generation VVS, Kumble, Dravid, Ganguly, Sachin retires, I will switch off cricket forever.

Unknown said...

I suppose I would retire from regular watching once the greats retire too. I believe there will be more greats but I would be biased after all.

For the matter of Dravid and Ganguly and even Sachin (in t20 world cup) not being included in the squad.. It is quite justified. Else I don't believe a fully raw side (once these gods retire and they will do within a short span i believe) will be able to produce the same class quickly, considering the amount of defeat they would have to go through initially. Rotating the current Pillars would help nurture others. And if we fail at this they will always come back :)